US financial aid Cost of attendance
Cost of Attendance (COA) is an estimate of your education expenses for your enrolment period.
The University of Canterbury COA components are the same for all US loan programmes.
The COA will specify the total amount you may be eligible for minus any other aid you may be receiving for that award period. COA components include:
- Tuition fees - Estimated fees are listed on your Offer of Place letter. You can also estimate your tuition on a per course basis using the Fees estimator or see the Fees and funding for more information.
- Student services levy $795 NZD per year
- Administration fee $115 NZD per year
- Student visa $187 NZD per year
- Insurance $590 NZD per year student only or $1,180 NZD per year couples cover or $1,475 NZD per year family cover
- Room and board $325 NZD per week, or $13,000 NZD per full year undergraduate (40 weeks) or $6,500 NZD per semester undergraduate (20 weeks) or $16,900 NZD per 12-month period postgraduate (52 weeks)
- Transportation - $40 NZD per week, or $1,600 NZD per full year undergraduate (40 weeks) or $800 NZD per semester undergraduate (20 weeks) or $2,080 NZD per 12-month period postgraduate (52 weeks)
- Text and other course costs $2,010 NZD per year
- Laptop allowance $1,500 NZD one-off allowance
- Travel home allowance $2,500 NZD per year
These allowances are given in New Zealand dollars and is reviewed and updated annually based on exchange rate. For 2017 COA calculations we will use the exchange rate 0.706275 (6 month average as 30 September 2016).
See US financial aid for further information on how to apply.