Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching
The courses in this professional qualification look beyond the focus of a specific department or knowledge area and consider academic practices from various disciplines.
Throughout this programme, a process of shared inquiry and collaborative learning is used to explore participants’ teaching practices and their students’ understanding of learning.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching is designed to enable graduates to apply knowledge of research to teaching and learning, develop and justify a repertoire of teaching approaches and assessment practices, and evaluate and advance their teaching practices.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard. You are also required to meet UC’s English language requirements.
Qualification specific requirements
- be practising in tertiary teaching and
- have either a bachelor’s degree or qualifications or experience in the field in which they are teaching
- be approved by the Head of the School or the Programme Coordinator.
For full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching or use the admission requirements checker.
Qualification structure and duration
The PGCertTertTchg consists of four compulsory courses.
The certificate is usually studied part-time over a minimum of two years (and no more than four years). Students can start in February or July.
Subjects and courses
For the up-to-date schedule of courses, visit our University Regulations website.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching.
For study planning help contact:
College of Education, Health and Human Development
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800