English language and foundation studies

If you don’t meet the English Language or academic requirements for direct entry to UC, our partner organisations on campus offer several preparatory programmes to get you ready for study at UC.

I need to meet the English language requirements:

  1. English for Academic Purposes (EAP) - Pathway to UC

    CCEL (Christchurch College of English Language Ltd.) provides an English for Academic Purposes Pathway to UC. If you are an international student or permanent resident and have narrowly missed the English language requirements for UC, this 12 week programme on campus may be suitable for you. Once you have successfully complete EAP and achieve the necessary grades and if you also meet the academic entrance requirements, you can apply to study at UC.

  2. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Test Centre on UC campus

    The IELTS Test Centre is located at the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring (CEM) on the Dovedale Campus of UC in Christchurch. The opening hours are 9.30 am - 4.00 pm, Monday to Friday. 

    You can check the test dates and make your booking here: www.canterbury.ac.nz/cem/ielts-information-and-booking/

I need to meet the academic requirements for UC:

If you do not have sufficient grades for direct entry to UC you may come to UC via:

  1. Foundation Studies Certificate (FSC)

    UC International College (UCIC) teaches the foundation studies certificate that gives entrance to all of the UC bachelor degrees. The Foundation Studies Certificate is a two semester full time programme that commences three times a year. Depending on grades achieved you will commence in either the first year of the bachelor degree at UC or the University Transfer programme at UCIC.

  2. University Transfer Programme (UTP)

    UC International College (UCIC) teaches university transfer programmes for Science, Commerce and Engineering. If you do not meet direct entry to UC for these bachelor degrees the UTP will allow you to bridge that gap. On successful completion and the necessary grades achieved , you can transfer into the second year of the relevant bachelor degree at UC.

    UC moderates the FSC and UTP programmes to ensure the highest academic quality is delivered. See UCIC course information.