What can I Recycle?
UC's waste and recycling system has changed.
From December 2015, some items that used to be recycled must be put in the red landfill bins. This is because some types of plastic and packaging are no longer being accepted by UC's end-point recyclers.
All staff and students can make a difference by sorting their waste correctly to minimise the contamination of campus recycling. If recycling is contaminated, it could go to landfill at a high cost to UC and the environment. Examples of items that must be put in the red landfill bins include;
- Plastic lids off single use takeaway cups
- Yoghurt and cardboard pottles
- Sandwich packs
- Sushi containers
- Cardboard pottles
For more information:
- Download a copy of an up-to-date poster UC waste watchers - please recycle (PDF, 2.4MB)
- See Draft University of Canterbury Waste Plan 2014-2022 (PDF)
- See below the new stickers you will see on the bins.
For any queries about these changes, please contact Sustainability Office.