Find postgraduate student opportunities for scholarships, internships and research at our research centres.
Scholarships at UC
Scholarships, grants and awards are a great way of funding your university study. See the Scholarships at UC page for the full list of available scholarships.
College of Science - Geography
- Find out about fees for postgraduate study at UC.
- There are a number of scholarships for geography students. See the College of Science webpages for more details.
- Explore the scholarships database for all funding opportunities.
Sources of funding
There are a variety of sources of funding to undertake graduate studies, but especially thesis research.
Key scholarships include:
- Sir Neil Isaac Scholarship (one scholarship a year). Students completing a two year Masters or Masters by thesis alone are eligible
- George Jobberns Prize in Geography (Scholarships website)
- Murray Jessen Scholarship (PDF, 75KB, 3 pages)
- NZ Coastal Society Student Research Scholarships (PDF, 156KB, 3 pages)
- The Association for Resource Management Practitioners Scholarships
- UC Masters and Doctoral Scholarships (normally a GPA 7.0 and over is required)
- GeoHealth Laboratory Scholarships (normally three each year)
- Antarctica NZ Postgraduate Research Scholarship Programme
Teaching fellowships within the department
We normally hire teaching fellows to assist in the running of many of our undergraduate courses. Applications are called for at the start of each academic year and are handled by Simon Kingham.
There are many other sources of finance available if you intend to undertake a Masters thesis. These depend upon the particular topic and the role of your supervisor in obtaining external funds.
See the Geography postgraduate study and research page for more information.
College of Science - Biological Sciences
- The Funding tab on the Postgraduate study page lists employment opportunities and scholarships.
Wireless Research Centre (WRC)
The Wireless Research Centre has the following scholarships and internships available:
- Postgraduate scholarship opportunities to engage with industrial clients in postgraduate research.
- Tait Communications Research Scholarship for research related to Critical Information and Communications Technology (CICT) at the University.
- WRC accepts a limited number of interns each year.
QuakeCore - NZ Centre for Earthquake Resilience
QuakeCoRE has a range of opportunities for researchers to apply for funding including their annual RfP (Request for proposals) and a biannual scholarship round.
Biomolecular Interactions Centre (BIC)
BIC grants and scholarships help with research costs, travelling to conferences, or just a top up of personal money.
- BIC scholarships page lists small grants and scholarships available to current postgraduates.
New Zealand Institute of Language Brain and Behaviour (NZILBB)
NZILBB attracts external grants for its resesearch projects and runs experiments.
- NZILBB external grants page lists the projects that have been funded.
- NZILBB experiments page where you can sign up to be a participants for experiments run by NZILBB.
Electric and Power Engineering Centre (EPECentre)
- The EPECentre scholarships page lists scholarships for electrical engineering students as well as other relevant scholarships.
The Gateway Antarctica postgraduate page lists postgraduate scholarships for Antarctic research and other Antarctic scholarships and fellowships.
The GeoHealth Laboratory scholarships and internships page lists PhD and Master's scholarships.
National Centre for Research on Europe (NCRE)
NCRE has a listing of internships, scholarships and other sources of funding as well as information on the NCRE-MAEUS Mobility Awards and and general information on postgraduate study support.
New Zealand Economics Experiments Laboratory (NZEEL)
NZEEL has opportunities to participate in economics experiments.
New Zealand South Asia Centre
The New Zealand South Asia Centre has a listing of scholarships and calls for papers.
Ngāi Tahu Research Centre
The Ngāi Tahu Research Centre scholarships page lists postgraduate and doctoral scholarships as well as the First Nations' Futures Programme.
The Rose Centre provides opportunities to participate in research projects.
Spatial Engineering Research Centre (SERC)
SERC has a listing of Postgraduate scholarship opportunities to engage with industrial clients in postgraduate research.