Bachelor of Science

Chemistry lab

Degrees are made up of building blocks called papers. Each paper is worth a certain number of points. The more work a paper requires the more points it is worth. Some papers run for half the academic year (one semester) and others for a whole year. Each paper belongs to a larger subject area. For example, the subject mathematics offers papers in logic, algebra and calculus among others.

Papers are grouped into levels. 100-level refers to first-year courses, 200-level to second-year courses, and so on. You have to pass certain papers in a subject before you can study at 300-level. These are called prerequisites.

  • Total number of points required: 360
  • Total number of points required from the Science Schedule: 255
  • Maximum number of points from the schedules to other degrees: 105

Points to note:

  • Maximum number of points at 100 level: 135
  • Minimum number of points at 200/300 levels: 225
  • Of the 225 points at 200/300 levels, there must be at least 90 points at 300 level, of which 60 points must be in a single Science subject. This is defined as courses with the same 4-letter code, e.g. GEOL, PHYS, except for COSC.
  • Students who enrolled at 100-level for the first time in 2010 will normally graduate under the 2011 regulations (above), based upon 15-point courses.

Further information about the BSc degree, including the Science Schedule, can be obtained from the University Calendar.

Check you have enough points

Final year students

Please check you will meet the above requirements. If you have any questions, contact the College of Science.

A double degree usually takes five years to complete. You can cross-credit a certain number of papers from one degree to another, meaning those papers count towards both your qualifications. This can save time and money. It is important to plan your study carefully if you are considering this option. Talk to a UC liaison officer or student advisor.

At present you can complete the following intermediate courses at UC. They will qualify you for professional courses at other universities.

  • Veterinary Science for Massey University
  • Optometry for the University Auckland

More information can be found in the Enrolment Handbook (see the section titled: "Intermediate programmes for subsequent study at another tertiary institution")

If you wish to add or discontinue any of your current courses you must follow the correct procedure. Find out more on our Student support webpage.

Need more information?

Contact a Student Advisor for more information about studying Science at UC.

Bengu Korkut Yalcin

Student Advisor
Internal Phone: 93858