Role and requirements
Supervisors are expected to be fully conversant with the University of Canterbury examination regulations and the procedures contained in the Supervisor Handbook, and to ensure that these procedures are followed at all times.
Requirements of the role
Examination Supervisors at UC have a diverse range of backgrounds, skills, knowledge and experience but all are or have:
- Able to work accurately with attention to detail
- Able to work under pressure
- Good communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Punctual and reliable
- Of good health and moderate physical fitness.
For further information download a copy of the Position Description for Examination Supervisors .
Supervisors are asked to make a commitment of at least one full year. There are two examination periods each year: in June (two weeks) and October/November (three weeks).
Examinations run Monday to Saturday. (There are no examinations on Sundays.)
Dates for the examination periods for the current year can be found at Key Dates in the academic year (The University website).
About 6-8 weeks before the start of each period a Request for Availability is sent out to all invigilators.
Should your circumstances change after you return your notice of availability, you must contact the Examinations Office immediately.
One week before examinations a roster will be either sent by post or emailed. New supervisors must have attended the Orientation training to be eligible for a roster. Please avoid making changes to your availability following this.
The Examinations Office will advise of any changes either by email or cell phone, so please check these regularly.
Should your circumstances change after you return your notification of availability, you must contact the Examinations Office immediately.
One week prior to examinations a roster will be either sent by post or emailed. New supervisors must have attended the Orientation training to be eligible for a roster. Please avoid making changes to your availability after this.
Before the examination period starts
If you are unavailable for one or more of your sessions please contact Barbara or Jenny immediately.
During the examination period
If you are unavailable for one or more of your sessions please contact:
- Barbara 027 436 4165 or Jenny 027 220 6263
- The Control Room after 7.30am.
- UC automated attendant: 364-2987
- Barbara extn 8102
- Jenny extn 8045 or Kathryn extn 6265
- Main rooms: extn 6133 or 6990.
- Special Arrangements rooms: extn 6045 or 6282.
- If the extension you require is busy, please try one of the other ones.
In the examination room
Examinations are scheduled to a variety of room sizes accommodating a small number of students to just over 200. The start and finish time of the exam supervisor is contingent on the role of the supervisor and the size of the room. The ratio of supervisor to students is approximately 1:25.
UC runs two examination sessions a day starting at 9.30am and 2.30pm. Exams may vary from 1 to 3 hours (on occasion, an exam may last for a full day).
Each room is managed by an In-charge (IC) Supervisor who will know provide training in the exam room. All new supervisors start as an Assistant; the IC will know if a supervisor is new.
Major tasks examination supervisors undertake for the University include:
- The administration of examinations.
- Providing the best possible conditions for all students to undertake their examinations.
- Deterring, detecting and reporting actual and alleged instances of student misconduct occurring in examination rooms.