Graduate Diploma in Arts
The Graduate Diploma in Arts offers people who hold a bachelor's degree in a major in an unrelated area the opportunity to study arts in-depth, choosing from over 30 subjects.
The GradDipArts is designed for graduates seeking to qualify for entry to postgraduate qualifications in arts, to change career direction, or to extend or upgrade their existing qualification/s.
Graduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard.
You are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
How to apply
You can apply online at MyUC. Find out how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
Students normally take courses from the Bachelor of Arts (BA) schedule. They are required to pass courses totalling a minimum of 120 points; of these 90 points must be at 300-level, including 60 in a single subject. A maximum of 15 points towards the GradDipArts may be taken from subjects not in the BA schedule. Normally all courses would be from the same subject.
This qualification is an ideal pathway into postgraduate study. UC offers over 16 postgraduate qualifications in arts, humanities and social sciences.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Graduate Diploma in Arts.
For study planning help contact the College of Arts:
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Phone +64 3 369 3377