Postgraduate Certificate in Business
The new Postgraduate Certificate in Business is an applied commerce qualification that focuses on developing skills, knowledge and competencies expected by potential employers from School of Business graduates. It provides a pathway qualification into the Postgraduate Diploma in Business which leads into the Master of Business Management, Master of Professional Accounting and Master of Financial Management.
The new Postgraduate Certificate in Business equip graduates with general knowledge and skills applicable to business, which can then be applied in graduate positions across a wide range of industries. This certificate provides a qualification with some of the core business skills required by industry.
As part of the Executive Development Programmes at UC, this qualification enables you to increase your employability by gaining business skills that complement your existing professional or academic background. Candidates with a degree from any discipline may apply and no prior experience in Commerce is required.
UC's School of Business and Economics is ranked in the top five percent in the world as part of the accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). UC ranks in the top 200 universities in the world for Business and Management Studies (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2017).
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of current theoretical concepts, frameworks and industry practice within the fields of business and management.
- Think logically, analytically and critically with respect to the academic and professional literature within the field of business.
- Synthesise academic and professional literature and effectively communicate this information and research findings, both orally and in written form, to a range of audiences.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard.
Qualification specific requirements
Candidates must have a bachelor's degree with at least a B grade average in 300-level courses, or equivalent, and been approved as a candidate for the degree by the Dean of Business.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Business or use the admission requirements checker.
You are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
A total of four courses must be completed to obtain the Postgraduate Certificate in Business.
The courses available for the Postgraduate Certificate in Business are drawn from the core knowledge courses required as part of the Master of Business Management, Master of Professional Accounting and Master of Financial Management:
- MBAZ601 Managerial Accounting
- MBAZ602 Business Economics
- MBAZ603 Managerial Finance
- MBAZ604 Business Research Methods
- MBAZ605 Business Law
- MBUS601 Marketing
- MBUS602 Leadership
- MBUS603 Managing People and Performance
- MFIN 601 Corporate Finance
- MFIN 602 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- MFIN 603 Financial Management
- MPAC601 Professional Accounting Principles
- MPAC602 Advanced Professional Accounting Principles
- MPAC603 Advanced Management Accounting
- MPAC604 Advanced Financial Accounting
- MPAC605 Taxation
- MPAC606 Management
- MPAC607 Information systems
- MPAC608 Auditing
The PGCertBus is a pathway qualification into the PGDipBus and into the MBM, MPA and MFM.
The PGCertBus provides the skills and competencies that will allow graduates to gain employment within the private and public sector in relevant business positions. Graduates will gain the confidence to challenge existing commercial practice and participate in the development of new and innovative business strategies.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Business.
For study planning help contact the Executive Development Programmes team or the College of Business and Law:
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Phone+64 3 369 3300