Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching
The courses in this professional qualification look beyond the focus of a specific department or knowledge area and consider academic practices from various disciplines.
Throughout this programme, a process of shared inquiry and collaborative learning is used to explore participants’ teaching practices and their students’ understanding of learning.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching is designed to enable graduates to apply knowledge of research to teaching and learning, develop and justify a repertoire of teaching approaches and assessment practices, and evaluate and advance their teaching practices.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard.
You are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
Specific entry requirements
- be practising in tertiary teaching
- have either a bachelor’s degree or qualifications or experience in the field in which they are teaching
- be approved by the Head of the School or the Programme Coordinator.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online via myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The PGCertTertTchg consists of four compulsory courses.
The certificate is usually studied part-time over a minimum of two years (and no more than four years).
For the up-to-date schedule of courses, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching.
For study planning help contact the College of Education, Health and Human Development:
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Phone+64 3 369 3333