Postgraduate Diploma in Forestry
The Postgraduate Diploma in Forestry caters for graduates who:
- have a forestry degree or associated qualification and wish to update and retrain
- have another degree and are looking for some exposure to forestry
- are from countries where the forestry degree is less quantitative than in New Zealand.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard.
You are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
Specific entry requirements
Candidates must have completed one of the following:
- the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in either forestry or a related area of study, or
- a bachelor's or higher degree in other areas and relevant experience in a forestry-related area.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Forestry or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The PGDipFor programme is made up of eight courses (a minimum of 120 points). These courses can be chosen from the Master of Forestry Science schedule, and normally includes a forestry management or a silviculture course.
The diploma can also be studied over two years part-time.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Forestry.
For study planning help contact the School of Forestry or the College of Engineering:
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Phone+64 3 369 3500