The purpose of the major in Public Health is to produce graduates with knowledge and skills in science and health, experience in critical appraisal and scientific investigation, an understanding of values and ethics in health, and the ability to apply these to improving health and well-being through disease prevention, health promotion, and health service planning, delivery, and evaluation.
The major in Public Health aims to:
- provide students with a strong foundation in health sciences, with detailed knowledge in public health;
- equip students to meet the New Zealand generic competencies for public health and is endorsed by the Health Promotion forum to provide foundation knowledge and understanding of Ngā Kaiakatanga Hauora mo Aotearoa Health Promotion Competencies for New Zealand;
- provide students with the knowledge and skills to operate effectively in health sector organisations (such as District Health Boards, Primary Care Organisations, Public Health Units, Māori Health Organisations, and non-governmental organisations);
- contribute to the health sector workforce by preparing students to work as effective members of multidisciplinary teams in the health sector;
- contribute to meeting national health workforce development goals;
- provide the required foundation for students who wish to undertake postgraduate study in health-related fields.
Students with the BHSc (Public Health) will be able to function effectively as members of multidisciplinary teams in the health sector. Examples of career pathways include community development roles in public health units, district health boards, non-governmental organisations, local government, health promoters, public health analysts, and a research career in public health.
Graduates might also go on to postgraduate study to further their specialisation in the field.
Location Ōrakipaoa Building, Dovedale campus - see campus maps
Postal address College of Education, Health and Human Development | Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha Private Bag 4800 Christchurch 8140 New Zealand
Browse related subjects to Public Health
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
This major prepares graduates with the knowledge, skills and confidence to work with individuals and groups to enhance well-being. They will develop specific ...