Student Leaders lead groups of new students at orientation events. This includes campus tours and relationship building exercises to welcome students and help them transition to UC. Student Leaders also assist the Events Team to ensure events run smoothly and meet the needs of the students.
Hours involved in the activity
12 hours minimum. For every 12 hours of active learning you can claim recognition for one skill and one attribute. NB: opportunities only exist to develop the skills and attributes specified for this activity in the grey areas of the table below. For this activity you can claim a maximum of one learning and development outcome.
Work readiness skill/Graduate attribute
By actively engaging in this activity, you can claim against the pre-determined intersection points detailed below. You should reflect on your experience and select the WRS/GA intersection point(s) that best represents your learning outcome.
- A4 - Learning - Student Leaders attend cultural competencies training and apply their learning in activities. They learn the UC Waiata and will perform this at the end of the event.
- B1 - Communication - Student Leaders offer a welcoming and supportive experience to new students to UC.
- B2 - Initiative and Enterprise - Student Leaders create a positive experience for students and adapt planned activities to meet the needs of the group.
- B3 - Leadership - Student Leaders keep their group engaged, lead group activities and create a positive experience for all involved.
- B4 - Learning - Student Leaders attend training sessions, and develop activities and identify essential information for their student group by reflecting on their own experience as a new student.
- B5 - Planning and Organising - Student Leaders understand the event plan and meet scheduled timings.
- B7 - Self-Management - Student Leaders behave professionally and provide a positive experience for new students.
- C1 - Communication - Student Leaders’ communication with the new students is professional and meets UC standards.
- C8 - Teamwork - Student Leaders effectively collaborate as a diverse student group to develop programme activities in line with the standards and outcomes set by UC.
- D1 - Communication - Student Leaders effectively communicate with students from different countries and cultures to ensure all new students feel welcomed to UC.
- D3 - Leadership - Student Leaders develop and apply leadership skills appropriate for diverse student groups and settings.
- D4 - Learning - Student Leaders find opportunities to learn about different cultures and use this information when communicating with international students from a similar culture.
- D7 - Self-Management - Student Leaders behave professionally and provide students from different cultures a positive UC experience.
- D8 - Teamwork - Student Leaders effectively collaborate with students from different countries and use initiative to solve language barriers.
|Co-curricular Record (CCR)||
UC Graduate Attributes (GAs)
|Bicultural Competence & Confidence||Community Engagement||Employability Innovation & Enterprise||Global Awareness|
|Work Readiness Skills (WRS)||Communication||A1||B1||C1||D1|
|Initiative and enterprise||A2||B2||C2||D2|
|Planning and organising||A5||B5||C5||D5|
- UC affiliated
- Not for academic credit
Are you interested in participating in this activity?