Bachelor of Teaching and Learning with Honours
The Bachelor of Teaching and Learning with Honours is a one-year full-time postgraduate qualification for Bachelor of Teaching and Learning graduates (or an equivalent degree) with a B grade average in their 200 and 300-level courses. It is available for those trained in early childhood and primary teaching. The programme is taught either entirely on campus in Ōtautahi Christchurch, or as a mixture of on-campus and distance delivery.
The BTchLn(Hons) provides you with the opportunity to focus on educational issues or curriculum areas in which you have special interests, makes you more competitive in the job market, and moves you up a step on the salary scale. The programme includes a research project and other research in schools/early childhood centres.
The degree may be awarded with First Class Honours or with Second Class Honours.
- Develop knowledge and research skills that will equip you for further study and improve your classroom/centre practice.
- Focus on educational issues or curriculum areas in which you have special interests.
- Gain a fourth year of tertiary education (which is the norm for teachers in most countries eg, Australia, Great Britain, USA, and Canada).
- Become more competitive in the job market.
- Access databases and other research facilities.
- Be mentored by researchers with strengths in teaching and learning.
- Move from the Q3 to the Q3+ step on the teaching salary scale.
Candidates wishing to enrol in the Bachelor of Teaching and Learning with Honours must have completed a Bachelor of Teaching and Learning degree with at least a B grade average at 200 and 300-level, and met the standard required for a passing grade in all Professional Studies and Professional Practice courses at 100, 200, and 300-level.
Alternatively, candidates who have completed a programme of study approved by the Dean of Education and Health Sciences may be admitted Ad Eundem Statum.
You are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Bachelor of Teaching and Learning with Honours or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The Bachelor of Teaching and Learning with Honours comprises a total of 120 points and consists of courses selected from the Master of Education Schedule A:
- EDEM 697 Qualitative Research in Education
- EDEM 603 Research Project in Learning, Teaching and Curriculum
- One course selected from EDEM 693–698
- Two further courses from Schedule A
The two non-compulsory courses may be replaced with other postgraduate courses in Education or a closely related field. The course of study for every candidate is subject to the approval of the Dean of Education and Health Sciences.
Duration and workload
The BTchLn(Hons) can be completed within 1 year full-time and must be completed within 2 years part-time. For part-time students, the research methodology and teaching and learning courses must both be completed in the first year.
Courses are normally of one year duration and each involves approximately 300 hours of study of which approximately 50 hours is face-to-face contact. Lectures take place between February and October, with times varying (some courses are offered in the evening or during 'school holiday' periods).
You will undertake a major research project and other course-based research in schools/centres, amounting to approximately 120 hours.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Bachelor of Teaching and Learning with Honours.
For study planning help contact the College of Education, Health and Human Development:
College of Education, Health and Human Development | Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800