Master of Strategic Communication
The Master of Strategic Communication (MStratCom) prepares students for careers in complex, professional media for corporations, public relations, and advocacy. Students will learn how to generate communications using creative understanding of the audience and corporate goals, media ethics, and using a range of research and data analytics.
This taught Master’s is well-suited for students wanting to develop skills in public media relations and organisational communication, including those who have no previous experience in these areas, or are wanting to change their career focus.
- UC’s Department of Media and Communication | Te Tari Mātai Pāpāho maintains close relationships with professional media outlets and frequently hosts guest speakers from the industry, including internationally renowned professors from other universities. Recent examples include lecturers from Cardiff University and the Danish School of Media and Journalism.
- UC’s Journalism graduates can be found in leading newsrooms throughout the country, and many have received national awards in news reporting and editorial writing.
- Students will have the opportunity to complete an industry internship to credit towards their Master’s, with UC’s extensive contacts with key local corporations.
Normally the minimum requirement is a three-year bachelor’s degree from an Aotearoa New Zealand university, or a qualification or combination of qualifications considered to be equivalent. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to make sure they are of an equivalent standard.
You are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
Specific entry requirements
Students should have achieved at least a B grade average in 300-level courses in their undergraduate degree, or have relevant professional work experience to the satisfaction of the Head of Department and the Dean of Arts (Academic).
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Master of Strategic Communication or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at MyUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The MStratCom includes 180 points of coursework, including one 60-point dissertation. This can be completed in 1 year of full-time study, or up to 3 years part-time.
The MStratCom requires 180 points of coursework, with two compulsory courses, a dissertation, and two optional courses:
Optional courses – choose two:
Students can go on to study a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Media and Communication, or Journalism.
Graduate students of the MStratCom will have advanced skills in communications writing and editorial knowledge for different kinds of media. They will be prepared to lead professional and business communications that go out to clients, and large audiences or communities.
Strategic Communication graduates will find their skills highly valued within organisations involved in public policy and advocacy, government agencies, public relations, and also internal communications within companies.
Students may also find work in a variety of fields such as news media, publishing, communications advisories, non-profit organisations, social media, and strategic marketing.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Master of Strategic Communication.
For study planning help contact the Department of Media and Communication | Te Tari Mātai Pāpāho or the College of Arts:
College of Arts | Te Rāngai Toi Tangata
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800