Speech and Language Pathology

  • Communication Disorders_student group



Speech–language therapists/pathologists are professionals educated in the study of human communication, how it develops and the many differences and difficulties that children and adults experience.

Speech–language therapists/pathologists work in preschools and schools with children and students who have difficulty communicating and learning. This includes supporting children who stutter, have autism, or who have a voice disorder.

Speech–language therapists also work with infants born prematurely and provide services for adults who have lost the ability to communicate or swallow effectively due to stroke, degenerative disease, brain injury, or cancer.

Contact us

Department of Communication Disorders | Te Tari Mātai Hauora Reo

Phone +64 3 369 4827
Email communication-disorders@canterbury.ac.nz

See the Department's website for up-to-date location details.

Postal address
College of Science | Te Rāngai Pūtaiao
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch 8140
New Zealand

Browse related subjects to Speech and Language Pathology

Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.



Linguistics is the scientific study of language. It addresses questions relating to the structure of language, how and why languages differ and change, how ...

Arts seminar_group laughing

English Language

Are you curious about how the English language works? Are you fascinated by the changes that have taken place in the English language over centuries of time? Or ...